Friday, August 17, 2012

#MBFWCT Review: Adriaan Kuiters – Day 4


When I did a store profile on Adriaan Kuiters, designed by Keith Henning, some months back on my blog – I knew I’d found a gem. I was in love and I wasn’t particularly shy to express that. Ever since then, I’ve always dropped the brand’s name in conversation because I truly believe Keith is onto something fantastic here and it should be spread around like madness.

So when I saw Adriaan Kuiters on the line-up for Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Cape Town, I jumped with joy. I was so excited I was checking everyday if I’d gained access to the show.

I was not disappointed.

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

The show was set up to feel like more of an installation than a fashion show. With walking models instead of still mannequins. A life-size lightbox graced centre-stage on the ramp with metal loops ‘keeping it erect’. The models, one by one in a statuesque almost zombie like strides glided from backstage to front stage in singular strides.

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo


What we were presented with was a collection that travelled back in time, and took insights from childhood memories touched by a matured parent’s mind. Muted tones of navy blue, khaki, mustard and blue. It gave the sense of old school uniforms. Simple, tailored, prim-n-proper. There was an introduction of accessories, in the forms of shoes (sandals) and backpacks.

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo


The details I particularly loved were the shirt collars – cropped and squared off – they invite slim ties and fancy skinny bow ties. They also neaten the neckline should you decide to go without a neckpiece over the shirt, just as the models did. I also enjoy the fact that the collars allow you to wear a crewneck cardigan and have your collar show over the neckline.

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo


I am also a BIG fan on the introduction of the summer knitwear. On the ramp the ‘knitwear’ was portrayed using acrylic, whereas the finished product will be a soft and light blend of cotton and wool. I’m hoping cashmere will make an appearance there as it’s both warmth and breathes very easily. I loved the short sleeve cardigan, pairing that with the mustard tailored shorts in canvas and sporting a pair of the black leather sandals, I can see myself turning heads this festive season.

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo

Adriaan Kuiters / Image by SDR Photo


Undoubtedly, Adriaan Kuiters was the winning menswear collection from Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Cape Town. I’m yet to hear a single negative comment and that’s because there is nothing negative to say. The collection is boss. Finish en klaar.

No comments:

Post a Comment